Sunday, August 30, 2026

Tween Culture is dead, aren't they?

I remember the time where there was a distinct difference between being a teen and a tween. A tween is a child who is in their 9-12 years of age, caught in the transition between early childhood and becoming a teenager.

I remember vividly who my tween icon was:

Ariana Grande from Victorious and Sam & Cat.


Miranda Cosgrove from iCarly



Justin Bieber and One Direction

 

But who is the current tween icon of the tween today?


Back in 2013, If you'd open me and my mom's purse, you would find MAC in her purse and Maybelline on mine.


My Mom's Makeup circa 2013





My makeup circa 2013


Today, both me— a girl in her early 20s and my tween sister has a Charlotte Tilbury Airbrush Finish Powder in our purse. When you ask her about her wishlist, she'd probably say she wants Rhode makeup...

They don't even watch the Disney Channel anymore nor do I think they even know what Nickelodeon is. 

And when you open Netflix, you'd think that the platform is allergic to having vivid colors in their catalog.

Seems like the tweens are rushing to grow up now. Meanwhile I still basically see myself as a teen sometimes with adult money. As someone who turned 18 during the pandemic. I felt like I didn't grew up since.

I don't even wanna sound too milennial why I say that but it makes me kinda sad. Things have obviously changed.

I somehow blame capitalism for this. 


The Courier Online even wrote an article about it:
"Capitalism and modern marketing strategies have effectively collapsed the "tween" demographic because absorbing 8-to-12-year-olds directly into adult consumer streams is vastly more profitable than maintaining a separate marketing category."


No comments:

Post a Comment