Hi readers!
I'm still high from the Smallville craze. For a series that lasted for 10 years with 22 episodes each runs 40 minutes, I have so many thoughts from this show, the good and the bad! If you are someone who is looking for a show that captures the early 2000s nostalgia, this is it!
If you told me years ago that I will be obsessed with Superman, I would've laughed at your face. Because what do you mean me, a girl who wears pink would be include superhero on her list? My "obsession" initially started with Superman (2025) movie and to be honest, those Christopher Reeves and Tom Welling edits I see on Tiktok was one of the reason too why I started watching Smallville.
Note: Contains Spoilers.
Skip if you don't want to be spoiled
1. The Songs from this show is GOLD.
As soon as I heard Wherever You Will Go on Episode 2, that's when I knew I'm in for the ride. As someone who was born in the 2000s, I gasp everytime I hear the songs I used to hear and love when I was young!
2. The Ship (not that ship)
CLana was cute on the first two seasons. They perfectly gave that high school puppy love type but as soon as THE Lois entered the show on Season 4, I switched ships completely! They really dragged the whole thing with Clark and Lana for 7 seasons they were so toxic and boring that by the time they finally got together on S7, people have already moved on and wants CLois to happen.
I just find it funny when people say things like Clark and Lana should've ended up together because you're too naive to even think that there's a universe out there where Clark Kent and his Lois Lane doesn't end up together LOL. I'm actually glad that the actor himself is the captain of the Clois Ship! He fully understood the characters dynamics and why they make the perfect couple (of course!).
My Favorite Couple
3. CLois Slowburn because of the studio's restriction
Smallville's Clois is probably up there for having the slowest slow burns of all time. You might be wondering why they dragged the whole Lana and Clark thing... Apparently it was because Warner Bros. and DC studio placed strict restrictions on Lois Lane and her relationship with Clark Kent on Smallville because the film division wanted the theatrical movies to be the primary showcase for the Superman. They were developing Superman Returns (2005) at that time. When that restriction got lifted in Season 8, the writers immediately made the move.
But before that, all they could do was to do a foreshadowing which happened a lot and I loved every inch of it! There were a lot of could've and should've but I loved every moment of Clois together. Tom and Erica's chemistry really did wonders.
The foreshadowing is INSANE.
@cloisluv the second one of him looking through the telescope is INSANE they were hinting at their love story every time they got the chance #clois #tomwelling #tomwellingedit #loislane #clarkkent ♬ sonido original - FRMusicxx
4. Chloe being the main girl and Lana being a victim of bad writing
One character development I loved following along was the character of Chloe Sullivan. From being Smallville High's School Newspaper, The Torch's Editor-in-Chief into becoming an investigative writer at the Daily Planet into being Watchtower. I truly believe that she IS the main girl of the show. Clark would've not overcome most of his obstacle's without her help, knowledge and wisdom.
As much as I loved Chloe's character, that's how I disliked Lana's character. I feel like the writers were so lazy when it comes to her. It took me 2 and a half seasons to realize that she didn't really have a good foundation of her inner world. Picture this: During the first season, she was a girl who loves horse back-riding, when not in school, she is working at a Cafe. At the end of Season 3 she went to Paris to study Art for three months which was odd because she has never really shown any interest into it before. It would've made sense for her to study business since she's already managing the Talon for a few years now (Personally, she could've left the show at this point to give her a proper ending), On Season 5 she decided to go to college and study... Astronomy?
I hear a lot of excuses from people that the reason why she's like that is because her parents died when she was young and she had obviously abandonment issues but I think the answer is very simple. She was a victim of bad writing. I'm actually glad that they got Lois' character right for someone who entered the show kinda late.
5. Casts still intact 25 years later
Nothing makes me more happy than seeing the actors from the movie/show you loved are friends in real life! This is a blessing to me because i'm tired hearing actors admitting that they hated the show/movie or their own character that BTW, launched their career and catapulted them to success. Like what do you mean by that? If you hated your character, you should've not auditioned! I'm happy that Smallville's actors were not like that. Maybe it also did help that they were Gen X and not into social media.
The actors are still reuniting every now and then because even 25 years later since it aired (and 11 years ago since it ended), the show still has a huge fanbase. Last July, they even had Cruisville, a 7-day voyage fan-themed cruise experience with activities like panel discussions, trivia, game shows, karaoke, exclusive excursions, photo-ops, and autograph sessions with cast members.
5. The Evolution of Technology within 10 seasons
Last but not the least, as a techie girl. I love seeing the evolution of technology in the show. From seeing those bulky CRT monitors and flip phones during the earlier seasons into seeing smartphones, touch screen desks and massive LED monitors. The show serves as a perfect time capsule for the rapid real-world evolution of consumer technology.








Smallville is one of those perfect 00s shows to binge. I remember living and breathing it when I first watched it. Clois is 10/10.
ReplyDeleteomg i love smallville but i haven’t finished it yet so once i finish it i will return to read this, my blog is https://anatomyofanangel.blogspot.com/?m=0 !
ReplyDelete